Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Becoming a Eurocrack addict

Doepfer LC9 Modular synthesizer case

OK. I caved in.
I have the money.
I have the desire.
I have the space (actually I'm not sure I do, but I'll make some, heh).
It's time to go modular!

So I just bought the case for my first modular synthesizer!
Look at it! See how empty it is...


Second hand

I'm going to try to build this by only using second hand stuff.
The case is second hand. That's a good start!
I've also already bought some modules from here and there.
Some I have received, some are on their way, some not sent yet, some I haven't even paid for yet :)

The most difficult modules to find seem to be VCA and Envelope modules.
I guess since they don't really colour the sound that much, people never get rid of them.
It's not like with the VCOs and filters or weird random chaos utility modules.
They can be swapped around for trying out new sound characteristics.
Ok, the envelope and VCA can make a small difference too, but I guess not enough to make people switch between different types just to see what they're like.

Modules on the way

As I mentioned earlier, I have some modules going into that case.
At the time of writing, these are the ones I have (i.e. own, paid for, reserved and will pay for) :
  • Analogue Systems RS-95 VCO
  • Bubblesound uLFO
  • Doepfer A-106-5 12dB SEM Filter
  • Doepfer A-121 12dB Multimode Filter
  • Doepfer A-122 24dB Low Pass 2 (CEM Type) 
  • Doepfer A-135 Voltage Controlled Mixer
  • Doepfer A-143-3 Quad LFO
  • Doepfer A-144 Morphing Controller
  • Doepfer A-145 LFO
  • Doepfer A-170 Dual slew limiter
  • Doepfer A-180 Multiples (2x)
  • Doepfer A-190 MIDI-CV/Sync
  • Livewire Audio Frequency Generator VCO
So what I am really missing now to get a useful system is envelopes, noise, a VCA and a bunch of patch cables...

No comments:

Post a Comment